Signs Of Mice Infestation
Generally mice won’t be seen during the day as they are nocturnal – so quite often a homeowner is more likely to see the evidence they leave behind rather than the mice themselves.
The typical signs of a mouse problem are:
- Mouse Droppings – mice leave small, dark droppings particularly along walls, in cupboards or under sinks.
- Dirty Smudges on floors or skirting board. Mice tend to run alongside walls as they don’t have great eyesight. You might also notice small patches of urine.
- Distinctive Smell – mice leave an ammonia-like smell that will be particularly strong in more enclosed areas such as in cupboards.
- Damage – mice have teeth that grow continuously and will gnaw on wood, plastic, cables and other hard materials to keep their teeth shorter. They will also steal softer materials for nesting.
- Scratching Noises – in the walls or ceilings as mice scurry around, or mice in attics. You might also hear them squeaking or gnawing.
- Nests – mice build nests with shredded material such as newspaper and fabrics. These will tend to be in hidden places such as behind fridges. Nests will often contain young mice.
Proper removal of any animal droppings, along with sanitation is absolutely necessary. If your home was invaded by any of these animals and they made a mess, we can help you. A professional wild animal management company can properly and safely remove the droppings and sanitize the area, ensuring it is clean. The problem with doing it yourself are diseases. Droppings of any animal are perfect breeding grounds for bacteria and diseases, and if you are not careful it could be harmful. For instance, not wearing a mask while cleaning bat guano can be dangerous, and raccoon feces can harbor parasitic worms that can make you very ill and in rare cases, death.